Maintaining a healthy and safe environment for students, staff and visitors to The Institute for Aerospace Studies is a serious obligation. Legal requirements are dictated by the Occupational Health & Safety Act (1979) and the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System Regulation (1987) as they pertain to the responsibilities of the employer, the supervisor and the worker.
The purpose of this site is to provide a starting point for reviewing Health & Safety information and a reference point for use by UTIAS students, staff and visitors.
Please note that the University offers a WHMIS training session at the beginning of each fall term. This seminar is mandatory for all applicable students and staff before undertaking research and/or work here, at the Institute. For information on the seminar, contact Jeff Cook at 416-667-7724.
If you have any questions about health and safety issues not covered here, please contact any member of the Health and Safety committee.
- Before starting work….
- Health & Safety Committee
- In case of accident….
- Waste disposal
- General Departmental Practices to follow…
- Building Safety Features
- Hazardous Materials Information – Material Safety Data Sheets, Training Programs, Publications, Videotapes
- University Policies
- Environmental Health & Safety Home Page
- Your rights and obligations as a Worker
- Links to Occupational Health & Safety Guide for Supervisors