Entrepreneur Francis Shen, an alumnus of UTIAS, has committed a $1 million donation to establish an entrepreneurial incubation program at UTIAS called Start@UTIAS. The purpose of this program is to encourage and facilitate UTIAS graduate students to utilize the knowledge and skills that they have gained through their education to create business start-ups.
Important Start@UTIAS Dates
1. Start-up information session – Wednesday, September 27, 5:00 – 6:00 in the LH
2. Speaker Session – Wednesday, October 4, 5:00 – 6:30 in the LH (pizza following in the cafeteria)
3. 1st application deadline – Wednesday, October 25, with interview the following week
4. 2nd application deadline – Tuesday, December 5, with interview the following week
5. 3rd application deadline – Wednesday, February 21, with interview the following week
6. Start@UTIAS Pitch Event – TBD
How to Get Started
Things are different for Start@UTIAS this year: you do not need to have formed a team, or have an idea, in order to participate, although if you have, that’s fine too. Come to the information session on September 27 and find out what the Start@UTIAS program is all about for 2017-18. The Start@UTIAS program is open to all UTIAS students and alumni/alumnae.
Start@UTIAS is designed to offer the tools needed to create successful start-ups. These tools include mentorship, legal and accounting advice, speaker series, networking opportunities, and capital funding.